Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Recipe: : Homemade Playdough!
























 First let me say, my kids love playdough. I mean, what kid doesn't? They love playing with this homemade version and the last batch their grandmother made for them to play with at her house is still going strong and it's been at least a month since she made it! I thought though that it's probably time for a new batch. This time however I wanted to make it a little more special and decided to add in some awesome glitter and some essential oil to scent it! I also didn't have any food coloring on hand so I colored it (very lightly) with some turmeric powder.
Below is my version of a very basic playdough recipe.
*Homemade Playdough*
(If the little ones want to help, let them knead in the glitter!)
*2 cups all purpose flour
*2 cups water
*2/3 cups of salt (I used kosher salt)
*4 teaspoons cream of tartar
*2 tablespoons olive or melted coconut oil (I used olive oil)
*Approx. 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric for color (use more or less, it's totally up to you)
*5-10 drops lavender essential oil.
**Extra Fine Glitter**
(do not add glitter until the cooling stage)
--Pour your dry ingredients into a pot and then add in your wet ingredients.
--Stir on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until your mixture starts to thicken and then eventually pulls away from the walls of the pot. (trust me, it will get VERY thick!)
--Once everything is combined and has formed a ball in the pot, scrape the playdough on to a floured counter top and allow to cool. (you may need to mix in a little flour to your dough as it cools)
--If the dough is too hot to handle, just wait a few minutes and then add in your glitter - now would be the time to let your little ones help knead in the glitter! (I added approx. 1 tablespoon of extra fine glitter to this batch, but the amount is totally up to you!)
--Enjoy! No doubt this will bring many hours of fun for your little ones!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave kind words here...