Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Recipe: : Simple Pecan-Date Bars



Let's be honest. Lara Bars are expensive. It's only been on the rare occasion that I've eaten one and everytime I do, I think "I could have just made that!". There are currently 1.3 million copy cat recipes out there for Lara Bars (okay, maybe that number is inaccurate.) I figured I should contribute at least one more. 
I have made tons of Lara Bar variations in the past, but my most current one is a new one for me and it was delicious! 

Simple Pecan-Date Bars

* 2 - 8oz bags whole pitted dates
* 1 - 10oz bag whole pecans
* 1/4 - 1/2 cup dried, shredded coconut (start with a small amount first - you don't want the bars to be too crumbly!)
* 1 - 2 tsps. vanilla extract

* First, in a pan, toast up the pecans. (medium heat for a few minutes - constantly stirring until fragrant. Don't burn them!)
* Next, add all of the ingredients in your food processor and pulse for a few minutes until everything is chopped really small. When it starts to sort of "clump", it's probably ready. 
* To test and see if it's ready, take a small amount out of your food processor (while it's turned off of course!) and squeeze it together or roll it into a ball. If it sticks together, then it's ready!
* Get a small glass dish (or whatever shallow baking dish you have) and press the mixture in evenly.
* Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top and press (optional)
 * Place the dish in the fridge for 15- 20 mins to set
* Cut into pieces and enjoy! 




*Notes*
- I purchased my dates from Aldi. One 8oz bag only cost me $1.99!
- I had forgotten to oil my glass dish, but as I found out, after toasting the pecans, the oils released from them helped keep them from sticking to my glass dish.
- Even though your dates will say "pitted", always be careful because there could be pit fragments or even whole pits (like the one I found!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave kind words here...